The College Seal
circular monogram represents the official seal of Marist College. In 1923
the Scholasticate, called the Marist Normal Training School, was founded
is now the heart of our campus. The year 1929, as seen on the seal, marks
the date when the fledgling school was authorized by the State of New York
to grant Bachelor of Arts
degrees, thereby establishing the novitiate as a college. The date 1946
marks the year in which Marist College received its charter. The large 'M'
in the center is the traditional symbol of the Marist Brothers. The 12 stars,
about the 'M', are a scriptural symbol of the Blessed Virgin, to whom the Marist
Brothers are devoted.
The Latin inscription within the seal "Orare et Laborare," may be translated "to pray
and to work," the original motto of the college.
The Coat of Arms
The emblem pictured to the right is the Marist College Coat of Arms. On either
side of the shield stands the official college mascot, the Red Fox or the Reynard,
chosen for its keen
intelligence and ingenuity. The red and white college colors are derived from
the coloration of the fox. The Red Fox is also pictured in the college ring.
the left quadrant of the shield appears the traditional Marist bell, originally
used to regulate the lives of the brothers. The Indian seen in the right-hand
of the shield is taken from the seal of the town of Poughkeepsie (from the
Mohegan word 'apo-keep-sinck', a safe, pleasant harbor). The lower half
The nucleus of the atom stands for the sciences, while the open book and
crossed quills represents the humanities. Atop the shield is the official
the bottom is a scroll with the Latin words 'Cum Optimis Litigare', which
translated, means 'To strive with the best.'
The Red Fox
A 1961 meeting marked both the birth of the Marist College basketball team and the
adoption of 'Red Foxes' as the official nickname and mascot. Athletic Director
Brother William Murphy decided to organize a varsity basketball team to play scheduled
games against other schools and thought a nickname and logo would be appropriate.
While glancing at a sports catalog, Brother Murphy noticed
a reynard, more commonly known as a red fox, on the cover of the book. He
decided this fury little creature,
indigenous to the Hudson Valley, was to become the mascot and logo of all
Marist College teams.
The reynard comes from a great medieval cycle of stories
that originated in the Low Countries, Northern France, and Western Germany.
The rarity of the word prompted Brother
Murphy to choose the general term 'Red Foxes.'
Cannavino Library | Archives and Special Collections |
last updated on July 19, 2004