The History of Greystone
Greystone is one of three Marist buildings that were part
of the Rosenlund Estate purchased by the Marist Brothers in
Listed on the state
and national Register of Historic Places, Greystone dates
to around 1865 when it was built as a two-story carriage house;
a hayloft occupied the top floor, carriages and horses the
middle floor, and a blacksmith shop the lowest level.
Greystone, the name
for the renovated carriage house, was made official in 1929
when the normal school, a junior college and a precursor to
Marian College, was established. Marian College was the name
adopted by the Marist Brothers in 1946 on the occasion of
its receiving its provisional charter from New York State.
Subsequently, in 1960, the name was changed to Marist College.
Through remodeling in
1909, 1928, and 1964, the building served successively as
a dormitory, classrooms, science labs and library. In the
1928 renovation the Marist Brothers added the tower and a
third floor dormitory. Since 1964 the building has housed
the office of the college president, the admissions office,
the academic dean and the center for ecommerce business.
Greystone closely resembles
the gothic architectural style of St. Peter's and the Kieran
Gatehouse. When the college was first established and was
still known as Marian College, the renovated carriage house
was surrounded by wooden structures.
The carriage house was
nicknamed "Greystone" by the Marist Brothers on
campus because of its distinctive stone walls.
Home | Marist
College | Library
last updated on June 10,