The History of Greystone
Greystone is one of three Marist buildings that were part of the Rosenlund Estate purchased by the Marist Brothers in 1908.
Listed on the state and national Register of Historic Places, Greystone dates to around 1865 when it was built as a two-story carriage house; a hayloft occupied the top floor, carriages and horses the middle floor, and a blacksmith shop the lowest level.
Greystone, the name for the renovated carriage house, was made official in 1929 when the normal school, a junior college and a precursor to Marian College, was established. Marian College was the name adopted by the Marist Brothers in 1946 on the occasion of its receiving its provisional charter from New York State. Subsequently, in 1960, the name was changed to Marist College.
Through remodeling in 1909, 1928, and 1964, the building served successively as a dormitory, classrooms, science labs and library. In the 1928 renovation the Marist Brothers added the tower and a third floor dormitory. Since 1964 the building has housed the office of the college president, the admissions office, the academic dean and the center for ecommerce business.
Greystone closely resembles the gothic architectural style of St. Peter's and the Kieran Gatehouse. When the college was first established and was still known as Marian College, the renovated carriage house was surrounded by wooden structures.
The carriage house was nicknamed "Greystone" by the Marist Brothers on campus because of its distinctive stone walls.
last updated on June 10, 2004