The first image at
left shows the area of the campus comprising the old gym, the scholasticate
and the Greystone buildings. Two wooden frame single story bungalows,
built in 1911, occupied the gym area. One burned down in June 1946.
The other was torn down in early 1947. They had served as large
meeting rooms and recreational facilities. The gym was constructed
on that site.
The present Marian
building, the first large building put up by the Marist Brothers
on what is now Marist College, was built as a gym between 1946 and
1947. This work was supervised by Brother Francis Xavier, a faculty
member teaching Philosophy and Psychology. "Frank," as
he was known, was a man of all trades and as much a contractor as
for the masons and steam fitters, the building was constructed entirely
by the Marist Brothers. Student brothers mixed concrete for the
masons, carried pipes for the steam fitters, unloaded the trucks
which delivered the cinder blocks and bricks, did the carpentry
with Brother Paul Ernest (professor of physics) and operated the
jack hammer, etc.
The building was used
as a gym with a carpenter shop, printing shop, laundry, garages
and storage space installed in the wings.
The old gym at the
center of campus was transformed into a Residence Hall in 1983 and
is presently used in that capacity. The wings were raised to make
a second floor and the gym portion was also transformed into a two-