The History of St. Peter's
St. Peter's (circa 1865), which
originally housed the Rosenlund Estate's gardener and
his family, was purchased by the Marist Brothers in
1908 and served until 1969 as a residence for the Marist
Brothers. It received its name because the brothers
who lived there from 1910 until 1936 taught in St. Peter's
School in Poughkeepsie. Later it was used to house some
of the faculty.
A wooden addition to the front
of the building was used as an office for Brother Nilus
who was constructing new buildings on the property.
Another addition facing Route 9 was built to house the
Marist College faculty. The printer, Brother Tarcisius,
and the gardeners, Brothers Abelus and Sanctus also
The print shop, located since
1937 in the basement of St. Peter's, was used to print
documents for the Marist Brothers' Province as well
as for the college. In 1947 the print shop was relocated
to the northwest wing of the new gymnasium. All of the
wooden additions to St. Peter's were demolished in 1969
when the faculty moved to Gregory House. At that time
the facade of the original building was restored to
its former design.
St. Peter's currently houses the
staff of the Upward Bound program. Founded in the spring
of 1965, Marist College's program is among the longest
established in the country. It has helped motivate and
academically prepare hundreds of disadvantaged high
school students from the Hudson Valley to pursue a college
education. Upward Bound is an outstanding example of
Marist's longstanding commitment to serve the community
beyond the campus.