The Old Gym
The first image
at left shows the area of the campus comprising the old gym,
the scholasticate and the Greystone buildings. Two wooden
frame single story bungalows, built in 1911, occupied the
gym area. One burned down in June 1946. The other was torn
down in early 1947. They had served as large meeting rooms
and recreational facilities. The gym was constructed on that
Marian building, the first large building put up by the Marist
Brothers on what is now Marist College, was built as a gym
between 1946 and1947. This work was supervised by Brother
Francis Xavier, a faculty member teaching Philosophy and Psychology.
"Frank," as he was known, was a man of all trades
and as much a contractor as a professor.
Except for the
masons and steam fitters, the building was constructed entirely
by the Marist Brothers. Student brothers mixed concrete for
the masons, carried pipes for the steam fitters, unloaded
the trucks which delivered the cinder blocks and bricks, did
the carpentry with Brother Paul Ernest (professor of physics)
and operated the jack hammer, etc.
was used as a gym with a carpenter shop, printing shop, laundry,
garages and storage space installed in the wings.
The Marian Building
The old gym
at the center of campus was transformed into a Residence Hall
in 1983 and is presently used in that capacity. The wings
were raised to make a second floor and the gym portion was
also transformed into a two-story dormitory.